Monday, April 19, 2010

How to make a Monkey Cake!

For Fritter's birthday I had to end up making her monkey cake, since all of the cake people I knew were already busy. It kinda freaked me out at first, but after lots of research and thinking, I came up with her cake! It was really simple & fun to do!

First off, I store bought everything...You could bake a homemade cake, but for time & to keep my sanity, I just bought Betty Crocker Super Moist Butter Recipe Yellow cake.

I then put it into 2 (9in) round cake pans & cooked them for 25-30 mins.

After the cakes have cooled, I flipped it over & put it face up on my board. I then took the other cake & with the top of my sugar bowl (you could use a normal bowl, or just guesstimate!) I cut out to half circles to form the ears.
Then after forming  you should have a cake that looks like this!
Now I just bought the Better Crocker Whipped Chocolate Icing instead of doing homemade, but of course you could do both. I really suggest buying one of those angled spatula/knives to ice the cake with. I got mine at Michaels for not much & it made this part so much easier! 

After you ice the whole face with chocolate, then take the White Icing and mix a little bit of peanut butter in a bowl with it & ice out a circle. Fill in and smooth.

Then take some of the white icing your icing bag & draw out the white eyes. I used brown M&M's for the eyes.
You're almost done!

I then used a pink jellybean for the nose & just drew on the smile!
If you want a girly cake, then you can just make a bow & add pipe cleaner through the back and then just pushit down onto the cake!

There is it! A girly monkey cake! :-)

It turned out to be fun & easy to do & Fritter just loved it! :-)

9 comments:

  1. Cute cake, I love making themed birthday cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! It makes me want to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to my blog roll!! Sorry it's taken me so long to stop by and say thanks. Busy busy!

    Cutest cake!! Wow, even I *might* be able to do that (I don't like to cook!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for posting this so i can make one myself!
    can't wait to make this for my little monkey's 2nd birthday next week! she is just going to love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake is amazing and so easy! I am NOT a baker...or much of a cook for that matter, but to save money I am doing all the cooking/baking for my daughter's first birthday next month. This is doable even for me! Perfect! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made this cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday. So easy, thanks for the step by step. I turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. im soo doing this its so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many people did you feed with this cake? It's really cute - just trying to figure out if I need to make it bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came up as anonymous, so I hope you can see this. I would say it would feed 8-10 people. It was just a single round cake pan. I made cupcakes also with chocolate icing with a banana runt candy on top & had them on a cupcake tower next to the cake. Hope that helps! Thanks for commenting! :-)

      Delete

I love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for leaving me some comment love! <3

 

The Fancy Fritter | All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley