Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thank you for being a friend.....


A few weeks ago at my MOPS meeting we had a really sweet lady come in and talk to us about nurturing our friendships. So often after we become married & then have children, our friendships tend to be put on the back burner. Some friendships may fizzle out and new friendships may blossom & that is just all about the seasons of life the Lord carries you though. I do know that He will put in your path friends that will be there to help and encourage you during the journey of marriage & motherhood.

The lady gave us a sheet to fill out with a lot of great truths on how to nurture & grow healthy friendships.

1. Pray for God-ordained friendships, then work on being one.
He who refreshes other will himself be refreshed. ~Proverbs 11:25
Ask yourself: Am I living like the kind of friend I'm looking for? Have I prayed for this very important part of my life?

God loves to hear our prayers and needs about every area of our life, so if you are desiring Godly friendships, pray to Him and in His perfect timing He will lead you to the perfect friend! :)

I know He has answered this prayer for me many times in the past.

2. Fully embrace this season you're in and nurture gratitude for it.
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, Rejoice! Let your kindness be evident to all. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:6-7

So many times, I find myself being a complainer or whiner about situations in my life. At this season in my life with a small child and husband, I can't drop everything to go do something with a friend like I used too. I may not be able to be with my friends all the time, so when we are I try to make the most of it! :)

Another piece of advice she gave was to make a friend in every generation. I think this is such a good idea. This way you can have older, wiser counsel from your older friend & then if you have a friend in a younger generation you can be that mentor. It is a beautiful picture of the Titus 2 woman.

3. Be a good listener and make your speech gracious.
He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king as his friend. ~Proverbs 22:11

I know this is one of the biggest qualities of a friend that I love. I love for my friends to listen and give me advice from a true heart even if it's not what I would want to here! :)

A good question to ask: When people are around me, do they walk away uplifted or weary?

4. Be real and resist the urge to compare yourself to others.

Resist the temptation to put this ideal view of yourself in front of people. Feel open to be real and share your struggles! I know some of my sweetest moments with friends have been at moments of transparency.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. ~Proverbs 17:17

Good tip: Comparison breeds inferiority! (So true!)

Ask yourself: Do I let comparison of others steal my joy? Try not to let yourself even go there...

5. Remember that no one person can meet all your needs.
Jesus Christ is the only one that can fulfill all your needs. He will love you unconditionally. He will not be turned away by your neediness, but delights in you coming to him continually, in fact he tells us to pray without ceasing. Keep asking, keep seeking, keep beholding....

I hope that this has been a source of encouragement to you! If you are currently seeking friends, I encourage to join a Godly church who have women that are encouraging and loving, join your local MOPS group, join a sewing club, play groups, etc.

A new look is coming to The Fancy Fritter soon this week and I'm so excited! Can't wait for you to see it!

Have a great evening!

~Stacy

1 comment:

  1. Stacy-
    You have encouraged me with this post in ways you can imagine. I'm blessed to have a sister in the faith in you and thank you for the prayers.

    Come visit my blog to read the latest.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for leaving me some comment love! <3

 

The Fancy Fritter | All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley